IRAM is an international research organization for millimeter and sub-millimeter astronomy supported by the CNRS (France), the Max-Planck Gesellschaft (Germany), and the IGN (Spain). IRAM operates two world-class research facilities in astronomy, a 30-meter single-dish telescope (Spain) and the mm/submm interferometer NOEMA (France). The scientific capabilities of the 30-meter telescope are continuously enhanced with state-of-the-art technology such as for EMIR, the multi-wavelength heterodyne frontend, the large field-of-view continuum 1mm/2mm camera NIKA2 or the two future multibeam receivers, presently under design.
The Frontend group (FE) at IRAM- 30m telescope in Spain is responsible for the operation, maintenance and upgrades of the mm and submm instruments located at the observatory. Although the design and construction of the receivers takes place fundamentally at the headquarters of the institute in Grenoble, the FE group in Granada participates in the design of the new instruments and the associated equipment and has a leading role on the definition of the interface with the rest of the system, both on the cabin optics as well as for the connection of the intermediate frequency signals to the spectrometers.
IRAM seeks a Head of the Frontend Group at IRAM/Granada. Reporting to the Station Manager, the successful candidate is expected to take over technical and administrative leadership, and develop and maintain efficient contact with the Frontend group in Grenoble. He/she will be responsible for operation of existing receivers, ensuring the seamless conduction of routine 30-meter observations. He/she is expected to participate in the design, construction and integration of new instruments into the 30-meter observatory. Budgeting, performance reviews and vendor negotiations are also part of the role.
On-call service during the day, approximately two weekends a month is required. Trips to the observatory at 3000 meters on an as-needed basis are also required.
- University degree in Telecommunication, Electronic engineering or physics.
- Good knowledge of high frequency receivers with experience of more than 3 years in other astronomical observatories, laboratories or related industry.
- Acquainted with millimeter/sub-millimeter receiver technologies such as cryogenics, quasi-optics, vacuum techniques, superconducting detectors and mixers.
- Excellent communications skills, as this is of special importance in the multicultural working environment of IRAM.
- Good English skills, both written and oral. Interviews will be held in English.
- Ability to work at 3000 meters, as the work might require staying at the observatory during several days, especially during the installation or commissioning of new instruments.
- Team leadership experience would be highly positively evaluated
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish
- Knowledge of astronomy and astronomical observatories
- Experience with low noise mixers, multipliers and amplifiers
- Knowledge of phase-lock and high frequency local oscillators
This position is permanent. IRAM offers an inspiring working environment, a competitive salary and social benefits package.
Candidates should send, quoting reference VN2022/05, a detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter explaining their interest together with the names of at least two professional references, in a single PDF file, by email to the IRAM personnel department (Antonio Córdoba, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Inquiries should be addressed to the 30-meter Station Manager (Miguel Sánchez Portal, email@example.com).