2023-02 | Ref: VN2023/02
IRAM is an international research institute in millimeter radio astronomy dedicated to the exploration of the universe and the study of its origins and evolution. The institute, headquartered in Grenoble, employs more than 120 scientists, engineers, technicians and administrative staff. It operates two observation sites which are among the most efficient radio telescopes in the world: a 30-meter telescope located at Pico Veleta near Granada in Spain and the NOEMA interferometer in the French Hautes-Alpes.
IRAM is opening a Linux System Engineer position for its IT department in Grenoble. This group of 6 people is responsible for providing all the needed computing resources for astronomical observations.
The Linux System Engineer will be in charge of the management and evolution of Linux systems:
– Design, deploy, operate and optimize Linux systems
– Ensure a technological watch and a follow-up of the evolutions of version
– Analyze and resolve anomalies
– Ensure the supervision and monitoring of the systems
– Assist users
– Maintain and optimize intranet web applications (redmine, gitlab, wordpress, etc.) which are all free software running on Linux
– Gradually acquire skills to gain versatility to also work on the network and storage
– Graduate BAC +5 (engineering schools or master) or equivalent in computer science, you have a first professional experience as a Linux System Engineer
– You are versatile and have a strong learning ability
– You are passionate about Linux and always want to improve your skills further
– You have a good level in English, both orally and in writing
– You have a driving license
– You wish to join a dynamic team, in a motivating scientific environment
– You want to acquire other skills, particularly in networking and storage
– Very good knowledge of Linux systems
– Experience in Linux system administration including CentOS and Debian
– Mastery of Bash and Python scripting tools
– Knowledge of web technologies (Apache, PHP, MySQL)
The position is permanent. IRAM offers an inspiring working environment, and social benefits package. The salary offered will depend on your qualifications and experience.
The workplace is Grenoble with occasional trips to the NOEMA observatory in the Hautes-Alpes.
If you are interested in working in one of the most efficient millimetric radio astronomy observatories in Europe, send your resume and a cover letter to the IRAM Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The position is available from February 2023.